Wham, Bam, Instagram!
If you follow me on Twitter, you may have noticed my interest in Instagram. I originally brushed it off as the social media platform that’s flooding the internet with potential bad record album covers, but the more I hear and read about how people and business are using Instagram, I think there may be more to it. The guest post below covers the basics of using Instagram for business and pleasure. I’d love to hear how my readers are using this popular tool so please leave a comment!
An overview of Instagram, and why you should be part of the movement!
It was great news when Instagram finally became available on Android (OS) to hipsters and other photo enthusiasts on April 3. The great thing about Instagram is that it allows you to take photos and then apply digital filters after which you are allowed to share your photo on other social sites such as Facebook, Foursquare, Twitter, Tumblr and Flickr. You can also choose to post the photos directly on Instagram instead of sharing on other social sites.
Intagram is not just any photo sharing social site. It’s much more than that. Most of its appeal lies in the fact that it’s original. Photos posted on Intagram are framed in a square shape, something that was common to the old times Instamatic or Polaroid photos. Instagram allows the use of digital filters which allow a person to use their artistic side to make the pictures look better. Intagram is therefore versatile in more ways than one.
Instagram works on the go. That’s to say that the application allows one to capture a photo using their iPhone or Android device and immediately upload their picture on Instagram for public viewership. Since it works on mobile devices and you have your phone with you most of the time, it means that you can let the rest of the world see what interests you any time of day or night.
Now that you know what you need, you’re probably wondering what you would use it for. Good question! Apart from adding to your list of social media forums, Intagram gives the user an opportunity to keep in touch with friends and family in a unique way. That said, it can also be used for doing business. It’s up to you!
Instagram for Pleasure
Capture photos of anything pleasure related so to speak. It’s best to add or use filters to show some creativity. This should be done for every picture one wishes to upload. Here are some examples of how Instagram can be used for pleasure or personal use:
- Travel pictures – show your followers sites and places of places you have been to. Let them see the world through your photos.
- Baby photos – make them drool over the cutest babies they have ever laid their eyes on.
- Food Pictures – capture images of different cuisines and apart from making your followers salivate, this is a great way to educate people about what other people at home and abroad.
- Humorous pictures – anything goes here really. Post pictures of anything that seems awkward and makes you laugh. Chances are that someone else out there will think the pictures are funny too.
Intagram for Business
Instagram can serve as an effective tool in relation to doing and transacting business. Truth be told, it’s never easy to stay fresh and relevant over social media. The good newsis that Instagram is not a complete social media platform; it’s more of an add on to all the other platforms out there. You’re most likely already talking about your business or brand on the well known social media websites, right?
If you answered no to this question, perhaps it’s about time you thought about doing that!
It helps your contacts see the softer more human aspect of you and your business. The well known social media websites have over the years become flooded with images which makes Instagram a creative option for business promotions:
- Take a photo of your brand, adjust the lighting to make it a bit visible and share it through your preferred social media forum.
- Tag your picture(s). Always have a descriptive tag associated with the image for instance #development, #architecture or #design. Tagging your photos makes them much easier to find and in effect much more business for you. If you want to direct more traffic to an otherwise serious or geeky website, try sharing photos tagged #photo of the day or #funny.
Social media is all about sharing and if Intagram is to make any difference for your business you need to share your photos. Instagram has a better impact as compared to other social websites since it allows one to post visual updates. Sharing your pictures allows you to meet people with whom you share common interests and therefore giving you an opportunity to grow your business.
Just imagine what you can do if you develop a social media plan that integrates Instagram with Pinterest!
About the Author: Steve Stretton writes for a company that assists businesses in growing their Instagram profile.